Friday 31 October 2014

Fairytale Hexagon quilt

Anyone that has been in a flickr swap or bee with me knows how much I love a good fussy cut. This quilt is what happens when I get a collection of fabrics in my stash that are great for fussy cutting and the time to sew up a meeeeelion Y seams.

The way I selected the prints reminds me very much of the Fairytale forest quilt I made a few years back, basically if I like it I'm going to use it! 
The layout gives a nod to the traditional quilt pattern that I always think of with hexagons, Grandma's flowers.


I put my focus hexagons on the wall and then looked to fill the gaps with complimentary coloured solids, I wanted the finished quilt to almost shimmer - super hard to explain, like a cut gem will reflect different colours back at you :)


I machine pieced the top, so much easier with bigger hexies and loved how the back looked so snapped a quick photo before pressing the seams. As a side note if you haven't pieced hexies on your machine and want to, let me know and I'll try and put together a little walk through. It is so satisfying to whip up a hexie quilt at top speed! 


I decided to go with an aqua and white polkadot for the binding, which is machine stitched too, to stay with the soft solid colours in the filler hexagons but still be just a touch different.
I didn't want to distract form the fun fabrics with the quilting so I went with a simple straight line quilting through the hexagons centres creating a diamond pattern, I think it looks clean and modern.


And here it is all finished, photographed in the back lane not the beach as normal as I seem to remember it was rather chilly and no one fancied the walk! 


and a little close up



The plan is to have this quilt listed in the shop by the weekend ready to head off to it's new home just in time for Christmas! 

1 comment:

  1. I've machine pieced Hexies and triangles (to make diamonds) and then strip pieced, and I can see how to machine piece hexies but I can't say I've ever had the urge, lol, it looks great though

    ReplyDelete

Chat away - I enjoy reading comments and will respond here or by email :)